Apprenticeship Standard & Level: Cyber Security Technical Professional (Integrated Degree) Level 6
About CDS Defence & Security
CDS Defence & Security (CDS DS) is part of the Bailie Group – a family-owned group of agencies and consultancies with the collective mission to improve people’s lives by sharing knowledge.
CDS DS is an industry-leading technical consultancy delivering world-class services in Support Engineering, Cyber Security & Information Assurance (CS&IA), Training & Leadership Development and Communications. We exist to make the world a safer place and do this by providing sophisticated training solutions, operational support, information assurance and engineering support to a breadth of clients within the defence and security domain.
With over 50 years experience, we have a well-deserved reputation for providing our clients with complete peace of mind. From delivering forward-thinking training to the UK Armed Forces, to working in partnership with Tier 1 defence and security providers on some of the most significant defence programmes of recent years, the CDS DS name has become synonymous with trust, quality, collaboration, and truly visionary approach to the most complex of problems.
The Cyber Security Graduate Apprentice role is part of our highly regarded CS&IA Services Business Unit. Current capabilities include specialist CS&IA programme management, Insider Threat monitoring and detection managed services, and CS&IA risk and governance consultancy.
You will assist in the delivery of a variety of complex, challenging projects across a range of organisations including the Ministry of Defence, Government, critical national infrastructure, and private sector organisations. You will be a knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and conscientious individual who has a keen interest in a career in cyber security and a strong desire to learn through doing.
Role and Responsibilities
You will assist with work across a range of client-facing projects, large and small, and will contribute to winning new business and managing delivery.
Key skill requirements:
- An understanding of the principles of cyber defence, cyber offence, threat detection and monitoring technologies and services.
- Ability to make concise, engaging and well-structured verbal presentations, arguments and explanations.
- Demonstrates a ‘security mindset’ (how to break as well as make).
- Can conduct effective research, using literature and other media.
- Ability to give and receive feedback constructively and incorporate it into personal development and life-long learning.
- Awareness of the legal, regulatory, compliance & standards environment around cyber security.
- Competent in active listening and in leading, influencing and persuading others.
- Ability to apply structured problem-solving techniques to complex systems and situations.
- Able to identify the preferences, motivations, strengths and limitations of other people and apply these insights to work more effectively with and to motivate others.
- Willingness to learn through doing, staying focused and motivated.
- Ability to use an ethical mindset while carrying out intelligence analysis, methods, and techniques.
- An excellent verbal and written communicator.
- Ability to produce high-quality work that delivers security outcomes to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively both individually and as a team member.
- Flexible attitude and ability to perform under pressure.
- Proactive interest in maintaining and enhancing technical skills.
- Logical and critical thinking skills, and a creative approach to problem-solving.
- Ability to prioritise competing workloads.
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of 3 A-Levels or equivalent qualifications – level C or above
- A minimum of 5 GCSE or equivalent qualifications including maths and English – level 4 (C) or above
- Previous cyber security, computer science or mathematics qualifications – advantageous
- Good understanding able to use MS Office or equivalent packages
- Excellent team player with initiative to be self-reliant
- Customer service experience – advantageous
- Programming experience – advantageous
Due to the nature of the business and the clients that we service, background checks may be required due to the work that will be undertaken within the role.
- £18,600 starting salary – incremental increases throughout the apprenticeship based on performance
- Permanent role from the start
- Gain a recognised qualification on completion of your apprenticeship
- Learn from leading industry experts
- 25 days annual leave (excluding bank holidays)
- Flexible working hours based on support required – 37.5 hours per week
- Office-based – with potential progression to some home working as agreed by manager
- Pension scheme (if eligible)
- Life Assurance Scheme (if eligible)
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent, Apprenticeship
Salary: From £18,600.00 per year
- Company pension
- Flexible schedule
- Wellness programmes
Expected start date: 05/09/2022