The BBC’s Technology and Product Group is committed to developing services and staffing outside of London in order to ensure that the BBC gains expertise from across the whole of the UK. This has already led to new Technology Hubs being identified, the latest being Newcastle. As part of this work and linked to the BBC Information Security Strategic Transformation program, the BBC CISO has identified the requirement for a Cyber Security Hub to be set up at BBC Northern Ireland, Belfast. The hub will develop the next generation of InfoSec talent to support the BBC’s strategic objective to move from linear broadcast to a digital future. The hub will have an initial staffing structure of 9 staff and a program to build over the next 5 years to a team of 22 personnel.
This role is for a Cyber Security Hub Manager, who will be responsible for managing the Cyber Hub team, developing both experienced Subject Matter Experts through to new entrants into the Information Security field who are completing Apprenticeships or University Placements. You will also ensure that the Cyber Security Hub supports the Heads of Information Security across all InfoSec functional areas, ensuring that data within the BBC is protected in accordance with the needs of the business and according to Information Security principles of confidentiality, integrity and availability, to deliver the Information Security Strategy across the BBC.
- Building and developing the Cyber Security Hub.
- Managing the Cyber Security Hub team, its SMEs and new talent, providing support, guidance and direction.
- Works with internal Infosec departments to identify talent requirements across all business units, Governance, Security Operations Centre, Development, Policy, Risk, Compliance, Architecture, Forensics and Awareness, identifying potential candidates and developing their potential.
- Develop both technical capability while aligning with business requirements so technical issues are always framed in the context of business risks.
- Support staff to develop their own internal BBC networks and foster an understanding of the culture of the BBC.
- Strong personal development skills, particularly the ability to learn new skills and impart learnings to the team.
- Manage relationships with teams across Information Security, the BBC and the 3rd Party Partners delivering services to the BBC in order to resolve security threats and maintain secure systems.
- Ensure consistency and communication across the wider InfoSec group for technical and tactical advice to IS, BBC and its 3rd Party Partners provided by the Cyber Security Hub.
- Communicate issues, risks, and delays in a timely manner to ensure impact to the business is minimized.
- Support incident response.
- Ensure all relevant program documentation provided is reviewed in a timely manner.
- Promote the awareness of the Cyber Security Hub across the Information Security and the BBC.
Are you the right candidate?
- An excellent understanding of the culture and ethos of the BBC.
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the business.
- Understanding of the technologies and architectures used to support information security.
- Understanding of the multiple roles within the BBC Information Security Team.
- Ability to manage and resolve conflicts between technical and business imperatives.
- Proven experience in management, in particular the ability to lead, support and develop teams of technical specialists through to new entrants within IT Security or a related discipline.
- Excellent understanding of technical systems and processes in use within the BBC.
- Proven experience overseeing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Previous experience of Information Security Management.
- High level of experience of Information Security implementation, development or operations.
- Proven track record of operating in time critical, diverse corporate environments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Highly effective and creative problem-solving skills.
- Extensive Experience of managing the relationships with key personnel both within Information Security, the BBC and 3rd party partners.
- Formal Information Security qualifications or willingness to pursue such qualifications, in particular CISM or CISSP, Cyber Security Degree.
- Understanding of the guiding principles behind ISO27001 and related standards.
- Ability and confidence to prioritise and balance competing and diverse demands from technical and business perspectives.
- Experience of working with multiple stakeholders.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits– We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.