Farrer & Co is synonymous with the highest quality legal advice and service.
We advise individuals, families, businesses, financial services, educational and not-for-profit organisations on every aspect of the law, wherever the need arises. From our offices in London we work with trusted professionals around the world to deliver a seamless international service.
Our clients present us with complex and varied challenges. Whether that’s a complicated family trust issue, a multinational corporate transaction, or an emerging threat to their reputation, they need clear thinkers who can advise on the best solutions, fast thinkers when speed is of the essence and agile thinkers who can produce a fresh approach to get the job done. That’s why they choose us.
Our clients value our in-depth knowledge, technical excellence and diversity of disciplines. But what really binds our long-standing relationships with them is our approach: pragmatic, plain speaking and always steadfast in our values, which we hold dear. Values which mean we gain our clients’ trust, always strive to do the right thing, and aim for the best results for them.
Superb client service sits at the heart of everything we do. We are modern lawyers with timeless values.
As a progressive technology team, Farrers IT have delivered a number of industry firsts. We lead on cloud based systems and mobility, delivering projects and managing systems which allow our staff to work regardless of their location. Technology is key to our business, so proactive and forward thinking IT staff are essential elements in our success.
The IT Security Operations Manager role is responsible for managing, maturing, and improving the firm’s IT security systems and operational processes in line with the firm’s requirements. This is a technically focused role reporting to the IT Director, managing our IT Security Analysts and involves close liaison with the Risk & Information Security team. The role has primary responsibility for managing our core suite of security tools (including vulnerability scanning, patch management, anti-virus, intrusion detection/prevention) as well as advising on security aspects of all existing and incoming IT systems.
The IT Department’s mission is to meet and exceed customer expectations and deliver outstanding service. We contribute to the success of the firm through the provision of timely and consistently high-quality service at every point of customer contact.
- Continual improvement of the firm’s IT Security posture through constant awareness of issues and threats, applying the appropriate controls in a timely and effective manner whilst maintaining productivity.
- Timely implementation of ISO27001 technical control objectives in line with our ISO27002-2022 scope, ensuring compliance.
- Act as the primary contact and escalation point for MSSP services.
- Provide key risk indicators of anomalous behaviour and potential cyber threats impacting the firm’s infrastructure, data, and application security.
- Recording and investigating potential or suspected security threats and escalating those findings to the IT Director and/or Information Security Manager.
- Act as CSIRT Lead and working with the Information Security team develop, refine, and rehearse our Cyber Incident Response policies and protocols.
- Manage and maintain existing security tools (such as data loss prevention, email security), leveraging available capabilities alongside the IT Infrastructure and Applications teams.
- Lead on end-point protection, anti-virus/anti-malware compliance and regular management reporting.
- Advise on server and desktop OS hardening techniques to reduce exposure.
- Ensure effective management of internal and external vulnerability scans including penetration testing of our infrastructure and applications, working with colleagues to ensure remediation in line with industry standards and the firm’s SLAs.
- Collaboration with relevant IT/IS colleagues and third parties to maintain and manage border security, including pathways into and out of our network.
- Perform regular Privilege Access reviews of IT systems, assessing and adjusting where appropriate.
- Ongoing review of our cloud service providers’ security measures and capabilities, leveraging all suitable security settings to ensure optimal configuration and reporting.
- Define, develop, and report on adherence to IT security policy and process.
- Advise and support colleagues around the firm on good IT security practice. Where necessary, work with them to find secure solutions to meet business requirements.
- Assist Legal Practice areas, Risk & Information Security and Business Development colleagues in responding to client questionnaires, interviews, and assessments in relation to the firm’s IT Security.
- Support the Information Security Manager in the maintenance and compliance of strategic certifications such as Cyber Essentials+ and ISO27001 as well as GDPR and Data Protection legislation.
- Work with the IT Projects team to ensure IT security requirements are considered and implemented for any incoming systems or IT services, including testing and sign-off on their compliance.
- Keeping abreast of the latest IT security threats, measures, and controls.
- Management of IT Security Operations team members’ workload, workstreams and priorities.
- Be the conduit for work requests into the team and assignment to individuals with appropriate skills, capacity, or interest for successful and timely completion.
- As part of our risk management expectations, work closely with the Information Security Manager to ensure wider ISO27001 objectives are met and report on technical security issues impacting IT and the firm.
- Act as the escalation point for team members and others.
- Leadership (but not necessarily ownership) of major incidents being handled by the team.
- Encourage compliance of firm and departmental policies, processes, and good working practices to ensure consistency.
- Develop systems and/or repositories for working practices, team knowledge, materials, and tools.
- Review quality of services or solutions delivered to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Provide monthly summary of the team’s activities to management for onward reporting.
- Through example, inspire an exceptional customer service ethos in team members.
- Involvement in recruitment process in respect of team members.
- Represent the team in meetings with members of the firm or third parties.
- Work closely with the IT Director to develop the team and provide regular updates on all current work streams.
Skills and Experience
- 3+ years’ experience in a similar role.
- Formal security-related qualification such as CEH, CISSP, OSCP, CREST.
- Good understanding of OSI, TCP/IP, OWASP and cryptographic controls such as PKI, TLS.
- Strong Windows operating system experience including server and desktop OS hardening.
- Cloud based services, in particular Microsoft Azure, Office 365/Exchange Online and cloud-based authentication services (AAD).
- Management of SIEM/EDR/XDR tools (ideally Sentinel & Defender).
- Solid vulnerability scanning and patch management skills.
- Anti-virus and DLP management in an enterprise environment.
- Ability to identify security threats, trends, and anomalies.
- Logical thinker and creative problem solver.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated, proactive, and able to demonstrate ownership.
Experience in one or more of the following would also be advantageous:
- Degree or equivalent in cyber security, computer science or similar discipline.
- Certified at ISO27001 ISMS Foundation or Internal Auditor level.
- Firewall management (ideally CheckPoint) including intrusion detection/prevention protocols.
- Live incident identification, response, and resolution.
- Working knowledge of digital certificates, DNS, SPF, DKIM, DMARC
- Managing an IT Security function and junior members of a team.
- Our standard working hours are 09.30 to 17.30 but it is essential that the applicant is committed, flexible and prepared to work beyond these when necessary and in response to demand.
- Additional work out of hours/at weekends may be required from time-to-time to support specific work.
We expect the successful applicant to bring the experience, commitment, and passion to further define the job description and embed the principles of good IT Security in the culture of the firm.
You will be expected to follow the firm’s agile working policy, which embraces home working but will require employees to spend a minimum number of days each week in the London office.
Farrer & Co is open to flexible working by arrangement although this role is intended as a full-time position.
Open to talking flexibly.
Farrer & Co conducts a pre-employment screening which consists of a Criminal History Background and Credit Check for successful candidates.
Job Type: Full-time